Nextcloud Backup Emails – Useful Methods for Downloading Emails
Just like other email clients, we need to know the methods for Nextcloud Backup Emails operation. It is important to keep up with the techniques to take a backup of the email service that you are using.
Nextcloud being a web-based email service, it stores all of the user’s data on the cloud. Even though the data is accessible from anywhere, at anytime, using any device, this doesn’t guarantee safety.
Email clients (desktop or on cloud) provide safety to the data only to certain extent. This limit involves all the internal threats that might damage the data or delete it permanently.
However, it is important to Nextcloud Backup Emails to overcome the external threats and avoid losing data permanently.
In here, you will find the explanation on the solution, the risks that threat data-deletion, and the benefits of backup.
User Query: Since it has been long using the Nextcloud web-mail, there is a lot of data that I have there which is safe till now. But, in the recent times, a few of my colleagues & friends have encountered data-breach & corruption issues. Now, I need to backup my data. If anybody knows a smart solution, please suggest!
How Can One Go Through Nextcloud Backup Emails Procedure in a Risk-Free Way?
Download the Professionally Designed IMAP Backup Tool which has advanced features that allow you to export the data selectively or in bulk.
Applying the Date-filter feature will help you to download the data from a specific duration of time. You just have to set the dates for the duration & the tool will pick & export the files from the chosen period only.
Seems intriguing, right?
Well, there are a plethora of features that the tool provides. Look at the steps of the software & find out more about the features.
A Quick Glance to Backup Nextcloud Email Using the Software
1. Install the software on your Mac OS machine. Choose your domain and enter the credentials for it. Give the IMAP Server ID & Port No. and click on the Login button.
2. From the Export Formats section, choose the file format as per your desire & hit the Advance Settings option. Here, we are going for PST.
3. Choose the Split PST option & enter the size after which you want to divide the files. Also, in the Date-filter, insert the dates to selectively export the files.
4. After that, to store the data you get from Nextcloud Backup Emails process, choose the destination by clicking on the Browse button. Apply the Delete after Download & Maintain Folder Hierarchy options to keep the folder structure the same & free up space from the server.
5. Click on the Start Backup button to finish up the process.
Use the Incremental Backup option to take a backup of the new data only. This means that when you apply this feature, the tool will avoid the previous data and start downloading the new files only.
Now, to Nextcloud Backup Emails manually, you need to make sure you have the right knowledge. If not, there can come troubles that you might repent.
Manual Solution to Take Backup of Emails from the Web-Mail
For this method, you need the following:
- An instance of Nextcloud
- Sudo privileged user
- Destination path to save the data
The instance of Nextcloud is generally installed at the location “/var/www/html/nextcloud”. Once, you meet all the requirements, execute these steps to start the process:
- Start the Nextcloud Backup Emails process by copying the data directory by using the following command:
$ sudo rsync -Aax /var/www/data/ /media/ncbackup/nextcloud-data_`date +”%Y%m%d”`/
- Copy the required configuration & them folders along with the entire Nextcloud install:
$ sudo rsync -Aax /var/www/html/nextcloud/ /media/ncbackup/nextcloud-dirbkp_`date +”%Y%m%d”`/
- Create the backup by using these commands:
sudo rsync -Aavx nextcloud/ /LOCATION/nextcloud-backup_`date +”%Y%m%d”`/
- After that, apply this command to backup MySQL or MariaDB:
$ mysqldump –single-transaction -h [server] -u [username] -p[password] [db_name] > nextcloud-sqlbkp_`date +”%Y%m%d”`.bak
This is how you can backup your data. But, there are certain difficulties performing this operation.
Difficulties Faced During Nextcloud Backup Emails Manual Process
- This type of method requires a lot of knowledge in the same arena. If your are technically weak, you might find it hard to execute.
- It may take up more time if you are going through this process for the first time as there are various things you need to take care of.
- The complicated steps of this method make it lengthy since there is a need to apply every step carefully which can lead to delays.
What Is The Need to Backup Nextcloud Emails?
The most important reasons to create a backup of this data involve:
- Data protection from hackers. Anonymous hackers barge into your accounts and delete or corrupt your emails leading to a lot of trouble.
- Virus intrusion can corrupt your emails damaging them to an extent where it is impossible to get them back.
- Malware like ransomware attacks lead to encryption of emails which can only be removed by the attacker. In this case, you lose access to all of the emails, recent or old.
- Avoid accidentally deleting emails permanently.
There is no harm in learning the Nextcloud backup emails process if there are important and crucial emails involved. Keeping a backup will only help you in future if there is any mis-happening with the data.
Therefore, we are here with two methods for the backup execution. You can easily export the data using the software which is non-technical and doesn’t make it a difficult process. However, the manual method usually becomes hard to understand as there are various commands you need to execute.